When you look for a dumpster rental the first thing that jumps out at you is how large a dumpster is. One of the most common concerns is how to tell what size you need for your particular job. From home remodel to large contractor sites, you have to factor in a few different variables before making the tough decision.
Cubic Yards and Standard Dimensions: What do they mean?
One of the first things you see when you start looking into dumpster rentals are the sizes that a company can provide. The standard sizes vary to accommodate your needs. The smaller 10 Cubic Yard (commonly referred to as the 10 yard dumpster) is perfect for home projects like renovations, smaller backyard excavations or landscaping jobs and light cleanups. The 10 Cubic yard dumpster would be the equivalent to three or four pickup trucks worth of debris and can hold approximately 4 to 6 thousand pounds. For a lot of your everyday needs, this dumpster would be the perfect fit.
Let’s look closer at sizes and dimensions for those of us who have those larger projects pending. Each company will set their own parameters, but for the majority they keep to the same industry standards.
- 10 Cubic Yards- Weight limit of 4,000 to 6,000 pounds. Standard dimensions approximately 14 ft x 7 ft x 4 ft. 3 to 4 Pickup Trucks.
- 15 Cubic Yards- Weight limit of 4,00 to 6,00 pounds.. Standard dimensions approximately 14 ft x 7 ft x 4. 4 to 5 Pickup Trucks.
- 20 Cubic Yards- Weight limit of 6,000 to 7,000 pounds. Standard dimensions approximately 22 ft x 8 ft x 4 ft. 5 to 6 Pickup Trucks.
- 30 Cubic Yards- Weight limit of 7,000 to 10,000 pounds. Standard dimensions approximately 22 ft x 8 ft x 6 ft. 7 to 8 Pickup Trucks.
- 40 Cubic Yards- Weight limit of 10,000 to 12,000 pounds. Standard dimensions approximately 22 ft x 8 ft x 8 ft. 9 to 11 Pickup Trucks.
Dimensions vary depending on the company the Dumpster Rental buys from, but the volume per container will always be constant.
Drop Off and Pick Up
Size and dimensions are just the first step in understanding what rental would be right for you. Before you decide on what parameters you believe fits your project, take a look outside. What street are you on? Would you need it delivered through an alley? Are there fences to either side of the road or low hanging power lines? No matter what size dumpster you want to get, if the truck cannot make it to the desired location then your dumpster rental dreams may be put on hold. Many smaller roads can accommodate the 10 and 15 yard dumpster, but as you go up in size so does the avenue needed to deliver and retrieve.
Dumpster rentals can be a daunting choice, but the one surefire way to know if your dumpster choice is right for your needs is to get a quote from a reliable and responsive source. Sweet Dumps is a trusted, family owned and operated dumpster rental in Fort Worth, Texas that offers quotes for every type of job free of charge. We offer clean dumpsters on time, every time and take pride in making sure our customers get what they want as well as what they need for an affordable price.